Sunday, July 09, 2006

I despise exercise...

but not for the obvious reasons. I dislike it because I have to commit to it and anyone who knows me can tell you, I can't commit to wearing the same pair of socks for an entire day! I also despise it because I am now at a point that even I know I MUST do it...no longer a choice...and I HATE being told what to do - even by my own body. At this point, it almost seems futile..I have no desire to be the next Susan Powder (sp?)...you know, the "Stop the Insanity" hardbody...which is good, because she's a freak of nature. I know, I know...they always say, the best time to do something is when you don't feel like doing it etc...builds discipline or some squawk like that...but if you really think about it, that would mean that you will NEVER be able to give yourself an out. If every time you feel like slacking, you bully through and do it anyway, you become just another robotic drone with no free-will whatsoever! If I subscribed to that life-choice, I would never be allowed to say no to myself...now there are plenty of things in my life that I cannot say no to without dire consequences: car payments, utility bills, laundry...but I guess I would like to control just one thing in my life...my body...and by george, if my body says, "Today isn't gonna work for me..." I would like that to be okay...without the guilt and failure complexes every Nike and Mountain Dew commercial has subliminally implanted in my brain. So today, I give myself permission not to exercise...and my body is thanking me...so free yourselves...exercise when you feel like it - as a reward for loving youself - not a persecutorial punishment for merely channel or web surfing (both highly underrated activities)...and not because someone says you have to...c'mon...the Great Bambino lived on a diet of hot dogs, alcohol and cigars...and that's part of what makes him so spectacular...anyone can break records on a diet of granola and steroids! So on that note...I sign off...having only exercised my metacarpals!

7 comments:

Marcie said...

Yep, as far as I'm concerned, no one will ever break Babe's record.

Tupelo Honey said...

I am with you on that one! They played fewer games per season, too!

Loralee Choate said...

I walked to the mail box today...yah, that's about the extent of my lazy ass moving.

Terrible, I know.

Pat Paulk said...

Hot dogs and alcohol?? I can do that!!! Today's bozos will never top the Babe!!

butterfly cocoon said...

I just wish I had the time to exercise so I could feel the hate for it....

Tupelo Honey said...

trish, I never thought of it like that! Good point!

Marcie said...

I forgot to tell you this quote that I've always loved,
"The only exercise I take is walking behind the casket of friends who took exercise."
Peter O'Toole