Saturday, June 03, 2006

7 x 16


I wandered through the literati looking for my voice,
And in the streets of Dublin, I bumped into James Joyce

He was running to the doctors, having awful stomach pain
But he said that he found Dedalus, reading Ibsen on a train

The Wife of Bath I went to next, and knocked upon her door
But alas, she could not hear me, so I traveled to the moors

In Denmark I found Grendel, who left me in a fright
And our ever tortured Hamlet, chasing phantoms in the night

The Hollow Men, their voices dried, could only bang and whimper
And Dylan Thomas in a rage – the man had quite a temper!

Byron and two Shelleys were busy snubbing Britain
The Brownings, they had too left home – with Italy were smitten

My last stop was in Paris to give a Rose to Gertrude Stein
She made a batch of brownies (I must admit they were sublime!)

In searching for the perfect voice, I had tramped through many tomes
And finally had reconciled - the voice must be my own

12 comments:

Kai said...

beautiful

Marcie said...

Shannon! Did you write that? You are truly talented.

Tupelo Honey said...

Yeah, it's just that I cut my teeth on the classics...Beowolf etc...thank Kate Tumminia for that!

Tupelo Honey said...

...and thank you! I'm glad you liked it =)

noncommon said...

ibsen, she says! you are a girl after my own heart! i loved this! and not just because of the familial reference. you are a clever writer. i wish i would have had tumminia. i wish i had time to read more. i wish i could stay awake to read more. you're making me feel really stupid. um, i gotta go and read some instruction manuals. ooooooooh, are you impressed?

Tupelo Honey said...

the familial reference was true (and fitting...Peer Gynt is one of my faves thanks to you!) according to my reading...joyce was a fan! he also died of peritinitis I think...stomach crap...

don't let me make you feel anything but hopefully happy! you open my eyes to more than you will ever know...i'm a nerdy bookish dork...you are a beautiful sunset that you want to drink in! people gravitate to your energy! and if you can master the instruction manual, I'll hire ya'!

Marcie said...

And you are such a modest woman! I just realized you were awarded a May perfect post. You go girl!

noncommon said...

love you!

Kai said...

hey thanks 4 stopping by.....
:)

Pat Paulk said...

Shannon, this is a classic!!!Great poem!!

butterfly cocoon said...

What a touching poem.I love your blog, by the way. Great writing and pictures!

Carol said...

Alright, Shannon.