Monday, May 01, 2006

blah blah blah...

wasn't that an Iggy Pop album?? I think I have that one on vinyl...okay now I was going to say that I had nothing much to talk about today, but I may have just hit on something...

It has been important to me over the years to keep/maintain a turntable...there's something about hearing Double Fantasy (At least the songs without Yoko)in it's original stereophonic grandeur...replete with that nostalgic hissing and popping through the speakers. So as I stumbled on my Iggy Pop reference above, I started thinking about my prized collection of vinyl that will never be downloaded, ripped or burned. There is something to be said for that eternal quarantine at 33 and 1/3 revolutions per minute...those discs are special. There's my original copy of "Teen Hits the Clebanoff Way", and "Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass" with the whipped cream covered woman on the front...classical music masterpieces from Lizst to Chopin, and the 45 that I bought on Ebay that my uncle Jackie Goetchess cut in the 60's (and my brothers used as skeet targets when Jackie was at his day job)...definitely a family heirloom - NOT a chart-topper! I have some 78's that I can't play, but can't part with, still encased in their library quality binders and cases...there are albums that commemmorate every twist in taste...Lords of the New Church, Blancmange, Duran Duran, The Argent Anthology and Frampton Comes alive. There are the standards like Marley and the Dead, UK releases of U2 singles, others from Peter Murphy, Love and Rockets, and Tracy Chapman to Billy Joel, Anti-Nowhere League, Bowie and the Eagles...and with nearly every album, a distinct set of auditory imprints and memories...memories of Westport and Pennylane, Music Exchange (God Rest its soul - and that of the guy that worked there for over 20 years - you know the one...little blue spectacles...committed suicide a couple months back when the store announced it was closing), of Rush Street in Chicago and Wax Trax...

Thomas Wolfe said that you can't go home again...and that's okay...but whether we keep our memories in a photo album or one with liner notes, they are unique to us and our story. About six of these dinosaurs are still in my regular rotation, the rest have not been played in years, preferring to keep the memories as I left them. On occasion though, I do pull one at random, run my hand over the cover, and drift back to the sights, smells and people inextricably linked to that singular moment in time.

Enjoy the memories that are yours alone - in whatever form they may be.

Now - does anyone have a spare needle???

8 comments:

Marcie said...

We had the Herb Alpert whip cream album in my house growing up. How funny! And as for Yoko? My dad has a Plastic Ono Band album, that one is good for some eye rolling laughs. You are making me kind of sad. I have none of my past albums:(

Tupelo Honey said...

I have never met ANYONE even remotely familiar with that album! now that's irony - something meant to be completely random and obscure...guess that proves there is nothing random, huh? Hey chickie..I did not write this to bum you out over lost vinyl...I bet your photo albums put mine to shame! If it weren't for my friend Kim, I wouldn't HAVE one!

Tupelo Honey said...

...oh...and if you ever have the URGE to listen to Herb Alpert...or any others I have...feel free to pop on over...me vinyl, su vinyl...k? =)

Marcie said...

Time for some dorky music info. Did you know that Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendes formed a record company? Yep, A&M (Alpert and Mendes. Get it?) I think the whipped cream album is an A&M record. I love Sergio Mendes and that 60's brazilian bossa nova stuff.

Tupelo Honey said...

holy cow! you are a font of otherwise useless information, aren't you? I am glad we're both dorks enough to appreciate it! How shallow the world would be if we weren't here to add some true culture! Actually, I did not know that...it makes total sense and I NEVER would have put that together...and no, actually, I was never exposed to the 60's Brazilian Bossa Nova scene...I'll add it to my summer list...Tijuana's about as south as I got!

noncommon said...

i have some Herb Alpert albums. can i join this dorky group too?

Tupelo Honey said...

good lord...who knew this would be such a cultural explosion! Absolutely - the more, the dorkier! You guys make me laugh too damn hard...I have really needed this...someone figure out a date for the AbFab party...quick!
Actually, Cameo, if you have albumS (plural) you might have to take the lead! =) g'nite all!

noncommon said...

okay, i was briefed on the AbFab party today. i am so there! i'll bring the albums! i got 10cc Dreadlock Holiday on vinyl too. mama is soooooooooooooo in need of a break. i get time off the end of this month! wanna play?