Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Ode to Spring...

Ode to Spring and sunshine curse
The Ice Cream Man will drain my purse
Kids will play ‘til after dark
Homework? What’s that? Lots of luck

Rusty arms throw grapefruit pitches
Spring Break gives us summer itches!
Barefoot feet turn black with dirt
Wash the car? - “Take off that shirt!”

Bugs of every shape and size
Delight the kids - I hide my eyes
Bikes and scooters swarm en masse
Streets too packed for cars to pass

Band-Aids run in short supply,
Use tape and cotton to get by
Kids now try to make a buck
Cuz’ I won’t fund the Ice Cream Truck

Kool-Ade stands on every corner -
Watered down and served much warmer
Water bills do start to soar
A Slip-n-Slide, a backyard war

Climbing trees and tire swings
Bar-B-Que and moody rings
Capture the Flag into the night
Friends of one day soon do fight

Petty squabbles soon will pass
Whistles from a blade of grass
So many kids from big to small
My fingers just can’t count them all

Springtime brings all this and more -
What could Summer have in store?!

4/6/05 srm

5 comments:

Marcie said...

Love the poem. I can hear the crickets and smell the freshly cut grass.

noncommon said...

i love this. i hear the birds. the fascinate miss roxy. and i like watching them build their nest outside my window as i write you this. and ummmmmm grillin' out! can't wait!

Carol said...

Definitely feels like spring.
Brings back memories from my own childhood, too.

Marcie said...

Where are you?

noncommon said...

yea, where the hell are you?